Delivery Driver - Class A CDL
Company: Huttig Building Products
Posted on: June 13, 2018
CDL Delivery Driver
The incumbent is responsible for the operation of a tractor and trailer with capacity of more than 3 tons to transport materials to and from specified destinations in a safe manner. The trailer can be anywhere from 24 to 53 feet long some with capacity upward of 30 tons. Truck drivers are the eyes and ears of the company in many ways and have more customer interaction than most employees. The ability to maintain positive customer interactions is vital along with a commitment to safety and DOT regulations are crucial. The work of a driver is repetitive and structured with prescribed routes and routines that are largely consistent.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Drives truck to destination in a safe and efficient manner.
- Completes pre-trip inspection and checks the straps on the load.
- Compares the product on the truck with the paperwork.
- Delivers and off-loads material in accordance with route and paperwork.
- Collects payment for goods delivered and for delivery charges.
- Maintains truck log according to state and federal regulations.
- Maintains telephone or radio contact with supervisor to receive delivery instructions.
- Inspects truck equipment and supplies such as tires, lights, brakes, gas, oil, and water.
- Cleans inside of truck.
- Performs emergency roadside repairs such as changing tires, installing light bulbs, tire chains, and spark plugs.
- Positions blocks and straps items to secure cargo during transit.
- Returns to the base upon completion of delivery of the product to all the customers and conducts a post-trip inspection. This includes checking brakes, tires, lights and straps. Completes report and takes it to the office.
- Ability to work in the warehouse when required.
Education and/or Experience
- High School diploma or GED and one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. At least two years experience with a class A CDL license.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on- one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Meets all federal and state driver s license regulations.
- Must have CDL Class A license.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Use of hands to feel, manipulate, or handle; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Frequently standing and walking.
- Frequent lifting of 50-85 pounds and/or pushing 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment requires the employee to work regularly near moving mechanical parts and to be exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The employee occasionally is exposed to harsh outside weather conditions.
- This position may require the employee to use safety equipment such as, protective eyewear, earplugs, gloves, safety shoes etc.
Keywords: Huttig Building Products, Pawtucket, Delivery Driver - Class A CDL, Professions, Pawtucket, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!