Special Education Teacher
Company: Achievement First
Posted on: March 26, 2019
Start Date: July 2018
Teaching at Achievement First:
Achievement First invites passionate educators to apply for the
position of Special Education Teacher for the 2018-19 school year.
Teaching at Achievement First is an ideal position for an educator
with deep passion for instruction who is eager to gain rigorous
development to help perfect his/her craft. In addition to
participating in weekly professional development and team planning
meetings, teachers receive consistent high-impact coaching and
feedback from a school administrator or teacher-leader.
Furthermore, Achievement First has recently launched Teacher Career
Pathway, a systematic, coordinated approach to recognizing and
developing great teachers as they progress through five career
stages. These stages were developed to celebrate excellent teachers
and are accompanied by increased compensation, recognition and
professional development opportunities. Achievement First is
committed to recruiting, developing and retaining excellent
Responsibilities of the Achievement First school teachers will
include but are not limited to:
Outstanding academic achievement and student character
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented and structured learning
environment that excites and invests students.
- Motivate students to realize high academic and behavioral
- Build classroom community by investing families in children's
academic success and development of REACH values (REACH stands for
Respect, Enthusiasm, Achievement, Citizenship and Hard
- Utilize data from Achievement First's interim assessments to
drive instruction and intervention.
- Design and implement unit and lesson plans in collaboration
with grade or subject team.
- Hold all students accountable during transitions, meals, trips
and school events.
- Exemplify AF's core values in all interactions with students,
families, and colleagues.
- Serve as "owner" of all special education-related services,
including writing and implementing rigorous, standards-driven
Individualized Education Plans (IEPs), managing legal documents and
files related to students' IEPs and 504 plans, liaising with
external service providers, ensuring all services are in compliance
with mandates and coordinating annual IEP review process.
Professional learning, development, and growth
- Collaborate with coach, grade-level chair, and school team to
improve instructional, culture-building and leadership
- Attend all professional development, team planning, and data
- Participate enthusiastically in structured and informal
learning and development opportunities.
Skills and Characteristics
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills.
- High level of personal organization and planning.
- Team player: maturity, humility, strong work ethic,
follow-through, sense of humor, willingness to respond positively
to feedback and a "roll-up-my-sleeves" attitude.
- Strong belief in the Achievement First mission and educational
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for subject matter.
- Familiarity with the IEP process.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Two years of teaching experience preferred with a proven record
of high student achievement.
- Bachelor's degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 from a competitive
college or university; Master's degree preferred.
- New York, Connecticut or Rhode Island certified in special
education or in process of obtaining a certification.
- If you are not yet certified, you may learn more about the
- http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/cwp/view.asp?a=2613&q=321230 (for
Salary for this position is very competitive and commensurate with
experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive
benefits package. Teachers receive funds for supplies and materials
as well as a laptop computer.
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an
organization that values diversity. People from all diverse
backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language
proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at
Achievement First here:
Keywords: Achievement First, Pawtucket , Special Education Teacher, Education / Teaching , Pawtucket, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!